Thursday, May 14, 2009

Anti-Platelet Ad Nauseam

Why do I torture myself? Number 1 answer: I am a masochist, of course! I read a fair number of medical journals and reports and lately all I hear about are anti-platelet medications like clopidogrel, prasugrel (see my last post) and now ticagrelor (where the hell do they get these names - sounds like anime' characters - Ticagrelor, ruler of all Mythica!) . As I punned earlier - it's starting to get thin.

Like prasugrel, ticagrelor is not even out of trials, yet they are hyping the hell out of a product you cannot even buy. It's claim to fame (should it be determinined in Phase 3 that it does not kill more people like torcetrapib did) is that its effect is reversible - SO YOU CAN HAVE HEART BYPASS SURGERY FASTER AFTER STOPPING IT! I kid you not. Oh, and while it does not contribute to "major bleeds" to any greater extent than other agents it does show an increase in "minor bleeds." I don't know about you, but whenever I bleed I consider it a major event.

Given that the market for clopidogrel alone is $8 billion we can expect more of the same with everyone scratching for a piece of the action. Here is a clue for the rest of us.

YOU DON'T NEED ANY OF THIS STUFF IF YOU DO NOT HAVE HEART DISEASE!

Let me put it this way. An ounce of heart disease prevention (or a half ounce of heart disease reversal) is worth $8 billion of clopidogrel! Practice informed, self-directed healthcare instead of uninformed drug and surgery healthcare (Time to plug Track Your Plaque).

HH

1 comments:

Consumer Advocate said...

A Consumer Advocate is not only intended to educate but also to guard their associates. If you are working with a collector who is pay no attention to the laws which standardize their industry, the Consumers Union should be able to contact the offensive creditor on your behalf. In many cases a cease and desist letter will be sent teaching the Debt Collector to cease all communication with the client.

 
Blog Directory - Blogged